Monday, March 26, 2007

3/6 Hopes and Fears

As my vision has changed and focused more on how educational technology can be better implemented into the musical classroom, I have also began to feel some fears and imagine wonderful outcomes.

The fears I have in regards to this:
  • Student dependancy: What I hope to use the technology for is intended to assist and revolutionize how the student learns to perform. I am affraid however that students will become dependent on the technology and forget to trust thier instincts as a performer.
  • Convincing administrators to financially commit: I have already submitted a report to my administrators that justifies and shows why the technology aquisition is good. However, I am affraid that they will not see it my way. I may have to battle and fight for this. It can be difficult to convince an administrator that technology can help the student learn faster and gain greater exposure to future interactions with techonology such as recording studios and such.
  • Parent participation: Part of my plans does involve the student and their ability to use a home computer or other media device. This can also lead to extra financial considerations from a parent and of course, the parent is not always fond of the struggling sounds of a new beginner and having to give up the computer for an hour a week.

My hopes:

  • Student excitement: I have noticed a trend with some students that they seem to think music is boring. Perhaps when exposed to the opportunities to actually practice as though at a real sound recording studio and able to mix their own practice sessions for assignments, they will find a new vigor and interest in music.
  • Parent and student encouragement: By using techonolgy along with the practice studies the student and parent will have recorded history of the improvement of their performance.
  • Accelerated classroom and theory understanding: I believe if I can actually SHOW how it works, the student will understand it even faster.
  • Improved performance

I believe that I have overcome many barriers to technology in the classroom in the regard that I can visual how it will empower the students and myself, I have a process and plan in place for its implementation into the classroom, and that although my knowledge on the latest software applications is admittedly novice at best, I am quickly pacing myself to be more than proficient to make the most of it.

In fact if it were not for this class I may never have fully realized or even envisioned the potential for certain mediums of education. Also, the studies to this point have even inspired me to pursue other enhancements to meet and improve certain fears and concerns I have overall in the music program. For instance, utilizing the Publisher application to find more eye catching and fun ways to deliver relevant information to parents and students.

My plan with the changes is to completely change private practices and rehearsals by empowering the student using the technology as an interactive study tool and also using the technology to allow me and the student to monitor their progress. This will shift a majority of control to the student. I will also allow the students to bring in more modern and fun aspects to the course once the technology is in place to accept it. Most importantly I can use this technology to share recordings by email and other means with students and directors at other schools so that not only the student but myself can analyze constructive feedback on performances. Interestingly enough, this will more than likely encourage more professional collaboration between myself and other local school district directors.

No comments: