Sunday, February 25, 2007

BLOG week 2/20

1) As I mentioned prior my vision has started to see a change. I am wanting to involve technology into my music classrooms in such a way that the technology can enhance and even change how rehearsals and home practice sessions are conducted. Of course to do that I need parent support. Most of what I have learned in here has been answering questions in my own mind about how I reach and gain support from the parents to help implement some of these changes in music education within my classrooms. Building a website, using blogs, publisher programs or even PowerPoint presentations would at this time be used by me to reach the parents and hopefully get them involved and into the classroom to a degree.

2) I have already begun working on proposals and request from my administrators to allow me access and use of some technologies. I want to add laptops with mic setups into my room. I want overhead projectors that can display what is on the laptop. I need certain software programs to even make these things useful. I am already planning to use the technology to change how in class and at home rehearsals are conducted. I am looking for more positive and tangible feedback for me and my students to hopefully combat some of the problems I am experiencing now.

3) I think the biggest message I received was that technology will not eliminate the need of an instructor. It will simply change the role of the instructor and how the instructor teaches. Of course, not all technologies will change education or how education is carried out either. Perhaps, in large part to the reluctance to accept new technologies into the classroom. I did like fax buddy ideas. That was unique. And I also thought the use of technology to get students to talk and engage with students from other countries was incredible in the sense of seeing other perspectives. But I think the part where parents were able to become more engaged in the classrooms meant most to me. That is my current concern for developing the music program at my school. But the message was clear. It can be done. Now find a way to make it happen.

No comments: