Sunday, February 11, 2007

My Vision 2/6

The activities over the past two class sessions has been extremely enlightening. Never before have I felt quite as empowered as I do now with the confidence to use the Internet with such speed and confidence.

The activities of finding out the validity and purpose behind a website had a big impact on me. I was in fact trying to think about all the information I have used and taken for granted in the past just by doing searches. It is nice to finally understand more about how the search engines work and how best to use them to my advantage. The RSS and Delicious activities were equally as impressive. Combine both activities and suddenly you have an up to date resource site of valid and respected websites at your disposal for day to day use.

I believe I will begin to utilize the bloglines and the Delicious to help me keep a running bookmark site I can use when around and about. Especially between work and home. I do not have the luxury of a work Laptop or personal Laptop. The Delicious would be a wonderful connector between the work I do at home and school. I will be hindered at work with Bloglines though. Blog sites are currently blocked. I will also be far more careful in how quickly I choose to use information from the Internet when teaching in my classes as well. I think this will also help me to combat incorrect statements from students and allow me to figure out just where they got the idea from to begin with.

I expect that my life will be easier as I organize myself and acquaint myself with these new systems and habits. I think I will also begin to petition the school to make admin changes for teachers so that we can begin to use blog sites to keep parents updated on the going ons within the classroom. Being the music program director of my school, all this coupled together could save me tons of time and keep the parents posted on the extra curricular activities as well. One big change I see happening in my classroom would be the teaching of using the Internet and also verifying the information the students find. I think the best and most effective change would be to transfer that knowledge on right now.

No comments: